Author Topic: Does GW2 need an expansion?  (Read 3234 times)

Offline Neirin

• GW Veterans
  • Captain
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Eleusian
  • Mains Class: Thief
  • Primary Alt: Iceni
  • Primary Alt's Class: Elementalist
Does GW2 need an expansion?
« on: October 05, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »
Hi all

Does anyone think, Guild Wars 2 needs an expansion?

Living story updates every 14 days are good, but I feel a expansion would be better for the game's future.

Offline saloon12yrd

• Leadership Team
  • Captain
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Oldaric
  • Mains Class: Engineer
  • Primary Alt: Onak Paru
  • Primary Alt's Class: Thief
Re: Does GW2 need an expansion?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 09:20:51 PM »
yes, period

Offline Jachen

• GW Veterans
  • Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Jachen
  • Mains Class: Elementalist
  • Primary Alt: Lets see what names are left
  • Primary Alt's Class: Necro /Ranger
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 07:57:01 AM »
I would think so, but at this stage would the expansion make enough extra money to be worth it? The time for an expansion is now or several months ago , by the time they get it ready now it will be at least a year away , 2014 looks like being a really hard year to compete in. Will an expansion tempt people back from : Division, Dragon Age, Elder Scrolls Online, Everquest Next , Destiny   ,Wildstar etc ?

Trickling the game along with a not too large and constant team , pulling a steady income from committed players still buying gems may be more profitable.

From a gamers point of view yes it definitely needs an expansion , from Anet and NCSofts side who knows?

Offline jae623

• GW Members
  • Private
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Rowan Silver
  • Mains Class: Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 05:39:45 PM »
Carpe Diem - means catch the frisbee

Offline saloon12yrd

• Leadership Team
  • Captain
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Oldaric
  • Mains Class: Engineer
  • Primary Alt: Onak Paru
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 12:20:01 AM »
lol

Offline Trodas

• Leadership Team
  • Captain
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Trodas Slystalker
  • Primary Alt: Troster Slystalker
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 08:03:20 AM »
I find it hard to believe that they didn't have plans for regular paid for expansions in their roadmap, or that they can make more money by releasing new content via  dripfeed and relying on the cash shop instead. However, with no signs of anything on the horizon yet it doesn't bode well for the players. I don't see myself coming back until there is a major expansion but on the other hand there may be other games that will attract my attention before that comes about. EQN seems the most likely. There certainly seems to be a loss of interest in GW2 in this guild at the moment. I noticed when logging into the forums last week that there wasn't a single thread relating to GW2, they were all about other games.

I myself have been playing LotRO again for the first time for eighteen months and spotted another of our members pass by in the 21st hall a couple of times so am not the only one. Trying to make up my mind whether to buy the Helm's Deep expansion when I haven't even started the Rohan one yet. I certainly don't have the enthusiasm for the game I had in the old days but it looks like I need something to occupy myself with for the next few months.

Offline Randomlampy

• GW Members
  • Captain
  • Nooooooooooo!
    • View Profile
    • Stews Pics
  • Main Character Name: Drasil
  • Mains Class: Warrior
  • Primary Alt: Bovii
  • Primary Alt's Class: Guardian
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
yes, period

First reply nails it! :)

ignoring the quality (or lack thereof) of the living story thus far the 14 day drip feed of temp content has put me much more off the game than a "drought" of content for several weeks (or months) could have.  Never had my love of a MMO so roundly killed :(

Offline Mangala

• Administrator
  • Sergeant
  • Bad Mama Jama
    • View Profile
    • My EVE Blog
  • Main Character Name: Mangala Solaris
  • Mains Class: EVE Online's Premier Slosh Op FC
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 07:37:16 PM »

I myself have been playing LotRO again for the first time for eighteen months and spotted another of our members pass by in the 21st hall a couple of times so am not the only one. Trying to make up my mind whether to buy the Helm's Deep expansion when I haven't even started the Rohan one yet. I certainly don't have the enthusiasm for the game I had in the old days but it looks like I need something to occupy myself with for the next few months.

Im getting my pve fix there - the epic story is still very much my fave pve content in any mmo. So you are bound to see me around on various characters (under the Hands of Justice tag on Snowbourne)
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk."

Offline Shadowborn

• GW Members
  • Private
  • Thief (D/D)/(SB) Crit Based
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: GW2 - Shadowborn
  • Mains Class: Thief
  • Primary Alt: DayZ - Stalker
  • Primary Alt's Class: Sniper
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
I heard they said they where not going to make official expansions for gw2 but just do lots of updates to storylines and the world.

I myself loved gw1's expansions and I think only time will show they need to do the same and create a big expansion at least one every year.

Lets hope they decide to do the big updates

Offline Oneri

• GW Members
  • Private
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Oneri
  • Mains Class: Ranger
  • Primary Alt: Mrs Onak
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:27:10 AM »
the baiting is getting boring. a little here a little there..nothing staying on.. i think the most sensible thing they have done in a long time is the wvw living story..a looooad of PVE's have hopped over and the borderlands are pulsing with life for gandara. How long that enthusiasm will last is another story altogether. But while it lasts thats where ill be.

Offline Merovingian

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Medh Maeb
  • Mains Class: Norn Warrior
  • Primary Alt: Muirrean Seoigh
  • Primary Alt's Class: Norn Guardian
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »
yes, period
THIS.

Thing is, the GW2 15 day patches are more of the same... it's achievement grinding. When I compare with what I can do in (e.g.) WoW, well, yes, GW2 needs an expansion. GW2 badly needs more things to do that aren't monster bashing. There are no mounts to collect, no housing to decorate or even just guild halls, no farm to tend, collecting pets mostly involves luck and the cash shop and not game content.

@Trodas about LOTRO: they completely ruined my class (Champion) with their new trait tree crap. I logged in, visited Edoras and Helm's Deep (which is ugly and looks more like an orc fort than a Horse Lord's Castle), and I'm done with LOTRO for now.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 10:41:37 AM by Merovingian »