Author Topic: Kingdom Come Deliverance  (Read 1260 times)

Offline Trodas

• Leadership Team
  • Captain
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Trodas Slystalker
  • Primary Alt: Troster Slystalker
Kingdom Come Deliverance
« on: February 23, 2018, 02:10:13 PM »
Is anyone else playing KCD? I bought it last week and am absolutely hooked with 45 hours played so far. It's an RPG like no other I've played, with engrossing storylines and a depth to the quests, even the side story ones, I've not seen before. It often takes hours to complete one and a huge number of options arise that can completely change the outcome. I've seen people comparing this game favourably with both Skyrim, which I haven't played and Oblivion, which I have. I'd definitely score this more highly than Oblivion for the depth of questing.

It does have a steep learning curve though as they take a different approach to some of what are normally standard controls for this type of game. Riding a horse for instance. It took me a while to realise I found it easier to use my right hand to steer the horse and the left to press on the shift button, which is the canter forward key. That then leaves the right hand also free to use the mouse to look around the surroundings as the horse will continue in a straight line in open countryside or follow the road if you're on one as long as the shift key is being pressed. The other thing is game saves. They are very restricted, annoyingly the most so in the 5 hour long!!!!!!!! Yes 5 hours tutorial, which actually took me 5.7 hours  :-[ The best way is to find a bed to sleep in. Otherwise, it takes a very expensive and hard to come by potion. Many other controls are pretty standard though..... WASD for controlling the character on foot. LMB main attack, RMB offhand or secondary attack, J for Journal, I for inventory, C for crouch/stealth etc.

You may have read about bugs with this game. Yes there are some but I've managed to work around them and have only had a couple of side quests so bugged that I can't complete them yet. I've had just one crash in the 45 hours just as I finished a quest. Unfortunately, that meant having to spend fifteen minutes doing it again but at least I'd managed to save the game by sleeping in a nearby bed before starting and it didn't crash the next time I reached the same point. Overall, I think it's as good as most games when first released.

If anyone else just starting the game needs any tips ask me but YouTube has masses of tutorials already.

Offline Xin

• Leadership Team
  • Captain
  • 天皇陛下万歳!
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Xylia Longleaf
  • Mains Class: Ranger
  • Primary Alt: Xin Nix
  • Primary Alt's Class: Elementalist
Re: Kingdom Come Deliverance
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:31:11 AM »
Hey Troy,

I was on the fence with buying this for the ps4 pro.  In the end i didn't, although the reviews are pretty good.
The save problem is going (or already is) adressed with patch 1.3, also lockpicking gets revised then.

For me personally is think i would hardly progress in that game and therefore lose my interest in it due to how i divide any of my gaming time.
What i mean is, when i don't have much time or when i'm playing and i have to pause alot for different reasons i opt for single player games which i save quickly (atm that's "Last of Us Remasterd" --> awesome btw! and Shadow of the Colussus --> abit of a let down for me, but still has very nice moments).  When i do lenghty gaming sessions i'm usually cooping with friends.
At this moment that's GTA Online (having a blast with all the new features) and looking forward to FarCry 5.
Offcourse Red Dead Redemption 2 coming in october this year --> prolly be playing this for a very long time. Rockstar is ace at keeping their games interesting and detailed.
In GTA 5 i'm still discovering places and stuff after all these years, the level of detail is incredible.

Offline Merovingian

• Administrator
  • Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Medh Maeb
  • Mains Class: Norn Warrior
  • Primary Alt: Muirrean Seoigh
  • Primary Alt's Class: Norn Guardian
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 08:43:25 AM »
See it, looks good, but I'm still busy with ESO, not to mention I'm having a lot of fun in "Fortnite: Battle Royale" right now.

Offline Trodas

• Leadership Team
  • Captain
    • View Profile
  • Main Character Name: Trodas Slystalker
  • Primary Alt: Troster Slystalker
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:53:44 PM »
Hey Troy,

I was on the fence with buying this for the ps4 pro.  In the end i didn't, although the reviews are pretty good.
The save problem is going (or already is) adressed with patch 1.3, also lockpicking gets revised then.

For me personally is think i would hardly progress in that game and therefore lose my interest in it due to how i divide any of my gaming time.
What i mean is, when i don't have much time or when i'm playing and i have to pause alot for different reasons i opt for single player games which i save quickly (atm that's "Last of Us Remasterd" --> awesome btw! and Shadow of the Colussus --> abit of a let down for me, but still has very nice moments).  When i do lenghty gaming sessions i'm usually cooping with friends.
At this moment that's GTA Online (having a blast with all the new features) and looking forward to FarCry 5.
Offcourse Red Dead Redemption 2 coming in october this year --> prolly be playing this for a very long time. Rockstar is ace at keeping their games interesting and detailed.
In GTA 5 i'm still discovering places and stuff after all these years, the level of detail is incredible.

You get unlimited saves simply by renting a bed in one of the many inns for a very low price one day at a time or permanently for a higher price. You can also use a potion to save anywhere if you need to leave the game at short notice. These potions are expensive for a newbie but inconsequential once you've been playing a while. You can also make them yourself by learning alchemy and it's the first recipe you're given. The ingredients are available cheaply from any herbalist, so they needn't cost a lot once you know that.

Also you can fast travel back to any already discovered town, so it's easy to get back to a bed in an inn somewhere almost instantly and I normally do that before starting any new activity as a precaution. I also keep a few potions on me so that if ever I have to leave the game at short notice and am worried about losing progress, I just use one of them, so saving just isn't an issue. I saw many posts about that too on various forums and YouTube but it's mainly just because people weren't familiar with the game. There's no real problem with saving the game at all.

Lockpicking is also terribly difficult when you first start the game, leading to many people complaining that the system is broken but actually it's really easy once you get to level 3 in lockpicking. That in itself is very easy to achieve by saving the game in a bed that has a very easy lock to pick nearby. As soon as you finish the tutorial, you are given a permanent room with a bed in Talmberg castle and just outside your room there is a door with a very easy lock you can practice on. So all you have to do is go to that door after every save and open it. If you use too many lockpicks just reload the game and try again. You have unlimited saves in that bed and the door keeps getting relocked, so you can repeat it over and over again. There are also very easy and easy to pick locks all over the map so there will normally be one close to wherever you saved the game. If you can't pick it in say three tries just reload. I didn't know this for around the first week I was playing and completely avoided trying to pick locks, believing what I had read and thinking the system was broken. Once I realised the trick was to save the game near a very easy or easy to pick lock to practice on, I reached level three in no time and once I had that, very easy and easy locks became so simple I can open them every time. There are also very hard locks on some chests you find in houses etc. They require a higher level but they aren't needed to play the game. Presumably they contain some more valuable gear but you get everything you need from looting bodies, easy chests and from quest rewards.

So, neither saving the game or lockpicking are real issues at all once you know how to play the game efficiently. It's got many hours of gameplay, fantastic graphics, and the cutscenes are more meaningful than any other game I've played. You actually level up by watching them too, making skipping them less attractive than many other games I've played. The only thing I don't like is the sword fighting. It's too deep for me with the need to learn various techniques such as blocking and parrying to fight effectively. Lots of other people love that though. Personally, I prefer bows as my main weapon and have just started to use a mace for melee in preference to my sword.